Why choose wood effect porcelain?
As direct importers of natural stone for over 25 years, its safe to say we love natural stone and its qualities! However, wood effect and stone effect porcelain tiles are becoming increasingly popular choices and there are many great reasons to choose porcelain flooring. With our curated selection of premium porcelain options, we thought a post that covers most questions on wood effect would be helpful (featuring some of our favourite projects with our wood planks, of course!).
Many customers ask if wood effect porcelain is a good choice for a busy, everyday family home – our answer – yes! Wood effect porcelain is both practical and beautiful. We have a wide collection from Italy and Spain with the finest state-of-the-art printing. Our collection of planks replicate the look of natural wood, whilst carrying all the benefits of porcelain. The beauty of porcelain is its engineered strength, easy maintenance and ability to be used with underfloor heating – unlike natural wood. Available in a variety of shades and patterns, from an authentic oak look to a more contemporary washed effect, wood porcelain suits a range of interiors.
10 reasons to choose wood effect porcelain
1. Hardwearing – Porcelain is engineered to be strong and hard-wearing, meaning it doesn’t scratch or dent like natural wood can from chair legs or heels. This makes it the perfect option for high traffic areas in homes and even for commercial use.
2. Easy maintenance – Wood effect planks are very easy to keep clean with normal hoovering and the occasional mop. The ability to achieve clean grout joints means that daily dirt or dust isn’t trapped between each plank, we also have stain-proof grout options available, especially good for bathrooms.
3. Suitable with underfloor heating – Natural wood isn’t suitable for underfloor heating but wood effect porcelain is with the correct application. Porcelain is perfect with wet or electric underfloor heating systems because it does not bow and is a great conductor and holder of heat – keeping those feet nice and toasty for longer!
4. Realistic nature – With the porcelain industry growing and expanding comes more state-of-the-art machinery. In turn, this means higher quality printing on the market and a large range of shades and patterns that can be achieved. Our full collection offers a variety of palettes and prints, with something to suit every style of home.
5. Suitable for floors and walls – The beauty of wood porcelain is that it is very light and thin, this makes it a great option for wall tiles, as well as flooring. The ability to do this, opens up plenty of possibilities and combinations. Read our blog post here for a popular wood effect and stone effect bathroom combination
6. Natural grip underfoot – Not only do these floor tile options offer realistic shades and prints, many also have a subtle texture to replicate natural wood grains. This subtle texture provides a natural grip underfoot, making them a practical choice across groundfloors in family homes, as well as bathroom tiles.
7. Rectified, flat and sleek finish – Natural wood can often curl or warp overtime. All our wood porcelain is rectified, and with the correct installation, a flat and sleek finish can be achieved. With these tiles, grouting can be a close 2-3mm joint, which also minimises grout lines and helps create a true wood-look appearance.
8. Options for outside – Many customers love wood effect tiles for inside but would also like the option of laying outside. Our wood effect porcelain is frost resistant and can go outside onto a reinforced, solid concrete base. The Chatsworth wood collection comes in a Grip finish, specifically designed for external use – the perfect option to flow seamlessly from inside, to outside.
9. No fade or discolouration – As mentioned, our curated range of wood effect tiles use the highest quality printing on the market. One major benefit of porcelain over real wood is that it will not fade in sunlight or discolour over time, meaning your floor will keep looking beautiful for years to come!
10. Variety in combinations and options – With our growing range of wood effect porcelain, there is a chance to be creative in combinations and find a shade or pattern that is just what you are looking for. Whether it is a bathroom project, or full house renovation, we hope our collection inspires and shows the different plank sizes, laying formats and shades you can opt for.
So, there we have it! A comprehensive guide for why you should choose wood effect porcelain in your home. We hope this helps you in your decision making, we are always available over the phone to discuss your project ideas and assist however we can! We also recommend visiting our wood porcelain page to browse the full range and order your free samples.
If you are looking for further inspiration, we can point you in the right direction with our customer projects features: